As often happens in the life of a college student, I find myself currently in between classes. It's a necessary circumstance, because without 'in between' time, there would be twelve-car pileups on the streets between campuses because students had to get from their 12:30-3:30 classes to their 3:30-6:30 classes. So I'm listening to music for a while waiting for class to start, for the teacher to show up for that matter, and I suddenly realized that this is a common state of being for me. Between. I'm finished with X, but it's not quite time for Y, so for now I'm stuck dwelling in the negative space in between purposeful engagements. I'm by no means the first person to realize this, and I'm sure at some point I've read someone else's thoughts on the subject, but being human, I have forgotten when and where and to what purpose the knowledge has served me.
But here and now, it seems to me that most of my life is made up of this in between time. In fact, from an eternal view, my life IS in between. Maybe listening to music to relax after my previous class isn't an incorrect or unwise use of my time, and by no means do I think it's a punishable offense, but I can't help but think that there are other things I could be doing. I could be talking to other people, studying, (duh), even just enjoying the day outside. And if those are just the things I could be doing at this moment, how much more could I be doing in the other in between points in my life. How could I be using my greatest in between time, my life, to be impactful instead of being lazy or just floating through it to the next stop on the cosmic bus ride that is existence. I'm borrowing the bus ride analogy because a friend of mine used it once in an explanation of the gospel that was very interesting and I think it works here just as well. I'm just waiting on the bus, or waiting at the stop for the bus to come and take me way, and there are a lot of things I could be doing other than sitting there with my earbuds and having no effect on the world around me.
I'll probably explore this a little more, but for now I'm not quite sure where to go with it from a blog standpoint or a life standpoint, so we'll leave it for later.
No comments:
Post a Comment